Monday, September 7, 2009

Walk through Verona, part 1

After our memorable night at the opera, we were glad to sleep in a little bit the next day and find that the rain had finally moved on. So we went out for a walk through the town, (with the help of Rick, as always!)

This lovely area, which is adjacent to the arena, is called Piazza Bra, meaning open space in the local dialect. It was a great area with benches,


a beautiful fountain,


some statues, restaurants, and plenty of room to stroll around. And strolling is what Piazza Bra is all about, evidently. The passeggiata is the evening stroll in which many, many people participate. In the 1600s it was more to show off and be seen. Now, I imagine it as simply a nice stroll. How nice is that? - It seems like a less-hectic world than the one in which I live. Laura and I sat here and wrote some postcards to enjoy the moment.

And then we were off! I liked all the archways we saw!

I took this picture - in Italy, remember - because the license plate (from Germany) has an umlaut on it!!! That is so cool to me! (An umlaut is the symbol made up of two dots above a vowel). I LOVE license plates, and this was definitely a first for me!!

Just like I got excited about the umlaut, Laura got excited over the dalmation. She has loved dalmations for years and years, and when she saw this one, she asked me to take a picture, so I did - of the dog. She then asked if I got her in it. I hadn't. So I took another one with her being excited in it!

Here is a florist shop. I really enjoyed the serene atmosphere here.

A view down a Verona street


A view up a pretty building

Laura under another cool arch

A colorful building next to a market area

Once again, I enjoy this picture because I see tranquility here. That person on the balcony - taking a break - enjoying the view - simply lovely.

A fountain

Another winged lion! (I thought that was a Venetian thing!!)


I bought this belt from this guy. At first, I picked up lots of belts, held them up to me, and was sad because they were all the wrong size. Then the guy told me he could cut them to my size. I was sold!

No comments: