Friday, September 11, 2009

Walk through Verona, part 3

The rest of our Verona walk included some of my most favorite moments from our trip.

Laura and I went by a church.

Again, I liked the marble columns. This time they were all the same pattern. I guess you might not even call them columns, but I like whatever they are!

While we were enjoying the outside of the church, we heard the sounds of a piano floating through the air. So we detoured from our Rick Steves' walk, and this was absolutely one of my favorite moments!!!! We sat in a little courtyard and listened to a piano lesson - through these open windows with the green shutters. The teacher sounded like an old Italian man. I didn't hear the student speak; I just heard the student play some arpeggios - of different varieties and in different rhythms. The teacher demonstrated what he wanted, and then the student tried. I thought this was the best thing ever!!! I told Laura that she would have to let me know when she wanted to keep moving because I could have sat there all day!

Then, we looked at the entry to the building with the green shutters, and we realized that we were at a music conservatory! We walked inside just a bit. I love the old wooden door!

Finally Laura pulled me away from the conservatory and the piano lesson, and we had a great look across the Adige River.


As we walked down this street, Laura read about a good place for gelato. Since we tried to have gelato every day we were in Italy, it was natural that we stopped in for some. (The gelato place here is in the center of the picture at the far end of the street). (Right, Laura?) Rick mentioned not only the gelateria but also the owner by name and a great flavor to try: riso. So when we got there, we both sampled riso, which was really, really good. I chose to have riso and chocolate, (which ended up being too bitter for me to really enjoy), and I wanted one more scoop. (After all, it was our last day in Italy!) So I asked the guy what goes well with those flavors, and he suggested cinnamon. Cinnamon ended up being my ABSOLUTE favorite flavor of gelato on my trip!!!! It was superb!!! Also, Laura asked the older man in the gelateria if he was Mirko, (the guy mentioned by name in our book). He said yes, and Laura showed him the book. He asked if he could look at it. He said he had the 2008 edition, but he didn't have the 2009 edition. He showed it to the young guy working in the front with him, and he then took it to the back - I guess to show someone back there, too. That was fun!

We definitely enjoyed our gelato this day! Laura liked riso so much that she got two scoops of it! And then she asked what it was and was surprised to find out that she was eating - and enjoying - rice gelato so much!! We stood on the bridge overlooking the Adige and ate our gelato. What a perfect ending to the gelato we were able to enjoy in Italy!

More views from the bridge, called Ponte Pietra


We had one last stop on our walk: the Duomo of Verona. As we walked around the outside of the building, we again heard music floating towards us. (Twice in one day?!! That was awesome!) So we went inside to check it out, and we found a mini-concert of sorts going on. An organist and a violinist were playing together. The music was beautiful. A number of people were seated enjoying the informal concert, so we joined them. That was another great moment. - You know, the things you stumble upon are sometimes the best and most enjoyable!

By this time, our "90 minute walk" had turned into quite a lengthy outing, and we had to hustle back to the hotel to get our things and make it to the train station. But, back by the arena, (which was behind me as I took this picture), I did pause for a picture of the old city walls. Inside these walls is where the magic of Verona was - for me, at least.

1 comment:

Amy & Mark said...

What a dream trip! I'm now longing to go there!