Wednesday, April 22, 2009

And the Winner is...

I know I don't talk too much about work on here. (Maybe even not at all!) That's on purpose. It's not that I don't like my work. In fact, I really, really enjoy my work! But I like to keep some things "work-free." (I enjoy "work-free summers," too!)

But I've decided to go against my norm and talk a little bit about work. I was the music director of our school musical this year. We did "Once Upon a Mattress," which is the story of the princess and the pea. I taught the chorus the music, I went to most rehearsals, and I directed the orchestra at the shows.

In Houston there is an award ceremony much like the Tony's for musicals; it's called the Tommy Tune Awards. (Tommy Tune was an actual person who went to Lamar HS in Houston and went on to be famous in the Broadway scene). Participating schools receive nominations in different categories, such as Best Scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, Best Supporting Actor/Actress, Best Leading Actor/Actress, and Best Musical. The award ceremony is always "high class," and it was last night. My school was nominated for 12 awards, including best musical, so we "revived" five minutes of our show, and the kids performed that during the ceremony. They did a great job!!!

We came home with 4 awards: Best Orchestra, Best Musical Direction, Best Chorus/Ensemble, and Best Crew/Technical Execution. We're all pretty excited!!! We swept all of the music awards - we got three for three!!! So I'm very proud of my students and my colleagues, and I'm also extremely humbled at these awards. I certainly didn't expect all of these, but it is really exciting!!

Today during 6th period, these beautiful flowers arrived for me! Some choir parents and their son, who was in the musical, sent them to me. Aren't they gorgeous?!!!




5 comments:

Tasha said...

Yea! Congratulations! And very nice flowers. :)

Mel said...

Congrats. It's nice to feel like all your hard work is worth it!

Unknown said...

I remember you telling that you were nominated for all the awards! How exciting Julia! You are truly using your gifts! I haven't read your blog in a while, and this was the first entry to read and you had beautiful flowers -- gerber daisy's! You're awesome!

Arnold LvE said...

Congratulations Professor!

Marshall said...

That is pretty cool
I just got on here today and read your last month's worth of stuff. You have so much fun!