Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Seeing Stars

A young child's mind is an amazing thing, and Claire never ceases to amaze me! She knows that we blow on her food when it's hot, and she knows that the stove is hot when something is cooking on it, so she blows towards the stove whenever she sees something on it.

She is picking up on more and more words every day. Her latest is "boo-boo" because I cut my finger the other day, and I'm wearing a band aid. Then, this morning, I cut my hand again somehow, and I put a band aid on it. When Claire saw the new band aid, she said, "boo-boo." She's obviously making connections in her little brain, and I absolutely LOVE seeing that!

Claire can identify the shape of a star, now. I think it began by reading books and pointing out the stars to her.

Now she is very good at pointing them out to me.


In fact, I didn't notice the stars on this page until Claire pointed at them and said, "st, st, st." That's her word for star. (I had noticed the dedication, and it made me chuckle).

Then one day, as I was putting Claire on the changing table, she had her head twisted to look in the kitchen, and she started saying "st, st, st" again. I looked up and saw that my homemade flag was within her view, and she had spotted the stars.

The star shape is the only shape in her shape-sorter that she can identify. Looking for it....

She found it!

And finally, one day, as Claire and I went on a walk, she again began pointing at something and saying, "st, st, st." It took me a second or two, but I figured out that she had seen the stars on this sign.

Once again, I think a child's brain is an amazing thing, and Claire never ceases to amaze me!

No comments: