Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Impressionist Paintings

I love impressionism - in both art and music. I have always loved Claude Monet and Claude Debussy. So I made sure to see the wide selection of paintings by Monet on display at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.

The first place Kelly and I found Monet paintings was in a small gallery with five Monet paintings on one side of the room and three or four interesting pieces on the other side of the room. These five Monet paintings were on loan from the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. (I took these pictures before I found out that I wasn't supposed to take pictures in this room!)


These are all paintings of the Rouen Cathedral, which Monet painted at different times of day and in different light, around 1892-1893.



On the wall opposite these Monet paintings hung works by Roy Lichtenstein. I didn't get any pictures, but this link is worth looking at. {Or do an image search for "Rouen Cathedral (Seen at Three Different Times of Day), Set V."} Lichtenstein also painted the Rouen Cathedral in different "light" or colors. It was intriguing to compare these paintings in the same room!


Then we went to another area of the museum that had many more Monet paintings. (There were plenty of people taking pictures in here, and there were plenty of museum staff who didn't seem to care a bit, so I got out my camera again!)







I'm not sure if this one is by Monet or someone else, and I couldn't find it in a brief search I did to try to find out. I still like it, though!

This one is by Renoir.

These are by Van Gogh. The one on the bottom, Ravine, actually has another Van Gogh painting underneath it, (on the same canvas). This interesting fact was recently discovered when an employee of the museum took an x-ray of the painting.

I wanted a picture with Monet's painting of Venice before we left!

No comments: