Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day - A Different Way

Many people are gathering around their mother's today to celebrate and honor all that they do for their children. I am so grateful for my mom and all she does and has done for me. As I continue to raise Claire, I see more and more of what my mom did that I didn't realize at the time. Thanks, Mom! I couldn't be with her today, but my thoughts are with her!

My Mother's Day is slightly different. Wait - it's totally different. Today I am all alone, and it is actually an amazing, wonderful Mother's Day gift for me! Jordan took Claire to Texas this weekend so he could see his mom. (Thanks, Lou, for all you do and have done, too!) - I already had prior commitments that I didn't feel I could get out of, so I stayed here. So my Mother's Day is actually more like a Mother's Weekend - where I can do anything I'd like to do! I can sleep in, and I can take care of myself. That's so nice to do every now and then. I'm not thinking about how to keep Claire entertained, what to give her for a snack, when she needs to take a bath, or if she has any clean pajamas. I am thinking about how grateful and blessed I am to be her mom. I love being her mom! And I love taking care of her every day. -- But here's a little secret any mom will tell you: A break is ALWAYS nice and very, very appreciated!

So I'm enjoying my day, and my weekend, any way I'd like to. It's been quite lovely. Last night I got a message from Claire. She said, "Good night, Mama. I love you, Mama." It was so sweet. I've listened to it more than once because I love to hear that sweet little voice.

Tomorrow I will rejoin the real world when Claire and Jordan get back, and I'll love taking care of Claire even more because I had a little bit of time for myself.

Happy Mother's Day to my friends and family who get to share in the joy of nurturing and teaching children, whether they are your own or not. Know that your efforts and sacrifices are appreciated - even if the kiddos don't quite realize the full extent of all that you do. God bless mothers.

1 comment:

BRENTandROBIN + three said...

Really cool post Julia! It is really nice to have a little alone time every now and then. It certainly makes you miss and appreciate the crazy times a bit more.

Have a good one!