Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Glimpse

Today I had a glimpse ... a glimpse of what life can be like with 3 kids. I got to watch my friend Dana's kids today. Here's a little bit of what happened.

Dana brought Nate over, I got Claire down for a nap, and Nate and I played. I had to wake up Claire and feed her so we could go pick up Nora from school. I got both kids in the car and turned it on only to find 2 bars of gasoline left. (I REALLY don't like letting the gasoline get that low, but I had to switch cars with Jordan today so that there would be room for 3 car seats in the back). So I was a bit nervous about the low amount of gasoline in the car.

I had tried to leave in plenty of time to get to Nora's school on time, but it took me 10 minutes to get on the freeway, which is only about 2 minutes from my house. I wasn't expecting that. Also, at some point the gasoline went down to 1 bar. Now I'm really getting worried and just hoping and praying that we don't run out of gas. But Claire really enjoyed having company in the backseat! She laughed a lot on the way, and I don't even think Nate was trying to get her to laugh.

I was able to find the school and get Nora without a problem. But getting her buckled in was a problem. The seat belt was stuck in the seat of the car. I tried and tried to get it, but then I gave up and told her to stay in her seat. (I know - that's not a good idea! And the whole time the car is running and using gasoline). Then I tried to get home the same way I came, but I couldn't get on the freeway. So I went some convoluted, out-of-the-way home - all when I'm trying to go the shortest distance possible because of the gasoline situation.

At some point I saw a gas station, so I put $5 worth of gas in. Then I was able to breathe a little bit easier, but I'm still praying that the other drivers and I will all be safe and that Nora will be safe! So we finally get going in the right direction, and then I notice that both Nate and Nora are asleep. I would have loved to continue driving around to let them take a good nap and to get Claire to go to sleep, but I didn't have enough gas to do that! So I just went home. I got Claire out of the car first, but before I even picked her up, I could smell her. She had a MAJOR poopy diaper, and I would have given her a bath, but I had two other kids in the car to take care of! So I woke them up so they didn't stay in the hot garage.

When we all got inside, and after Claire was in a clean diaper and clean clothes, Claire was completely entertained by Nora and Nate. She laughed and laughed and laughed at them, and they were just being their normal selves! They were very sweet to Claire, and it was fun to see how much she enjoyed the interaction from them.


Later, I got Claire down for another nap, I helped Nora with her homework, I made hot dogs for Nora and Nate, and I helped to keep them entertained, relieved (Nate has recently potty-trained himself), and happy.

So all in all, we had a really good day! It was fun to see Claire with Nora and Nate, and I felt like I had a small glimpse of what it would be like to be a mom of 3. I'm glad I was able to do this today!


Disclaimer: Claire's facial expressions in this photo
do NOT reflect her mood or enjoyment with Nora and Nate today!

2 comments:

Lee Hervey said...

And you still had enough energy left to make a post to your blog! I am impressed!

danavoelkel said...

You're an angel, Julia. You now have two new best friends! Thank you again.