Saturday, September 11, 2010

Real Life

I feel like my real life has now begun. Don't get me wrong - I certainly had a real life, (and a really busy one, at that), while I was teaching choir. And I absolutely loved it! I love teaching choir! I enjoyed going to work, working with the kids, making music with them, and watching and listening as they came to understand concepts and perform music in beautiful ways. I loved it when I could tell that my students were becoming smarter musicians, and I hope they continue enjoying music in whatever facets they find in their lives. But I've never wanted to teach forever and then retire with the school system. I've always known I wanted to have a family and stay home with my own kids.



During the month after Claire was born, I was adjusting to being a new mom and to taking care of a newborn. I had entered a new phase of life, but it was all so new that I didn't have a routine yet. Then we moved in with Jordan's parents for the summer. So life was different yet again. If I was making dinner and Claire needed something, there was often another person who could take care of her. And I didn't have to cook dinner every day because there were other people in the house with whom I shared that responsibility. During those months, I did get used to Claire's schedules, habits, and needs.

And then we moved again. - This time to another state! And we don't have any family nearby. And, even though school has started, I am not working. Sometimes I am asked if it's weird not to be teaching choir. But it's not weird to me. It's not that I'm sitting at home doing nothing. I simply have a different job now. I'm a mom! And because I get to stay at home and take care of Claire, I have other responsibilities - mom responsibilities - responsibilities that come with the territory of staying at home. And that is why I feel like my real life has begun. I've always wanted to be a mom and stay home with my kids, so now that I am doing that, I get to fulfill these mom responsibilities:
  • Making Dinner - When Jordan and I were both working, usually I would come home and then figure out what to have for dinner. Or Jordan would make dinner, and I wouldn't even have to worry about it. Now, I am trying to plan a menu a week at a time, buy groceries based on those meals, and make dinner. Jordan is at school so much that he doesn't really have time to make dinner.
  • Cleaning - In our married life, Jordan has cleaned the bathroom more frequently than I have. (Isn't he awesome?!!!) But now it's different. I need to clean the bathroom and clean the rest of the house, too. I've already been doing some of that these past few weeks.
  • Taking care of Claire - When Jordan gets to be with Claire, he is really, really good about taking care of her. Just this morning we went to the bank, and, while Jordan was holding and playing with Claire, someone commented that he loves her so much. - It's just that obvious! But his job right now is to go to school and study, and that requires him to be gone a lot. So I get to take care of Claire more.


Going from working outside the home (and getting a financial paycheck) to working in the home (and getting paid by Claire's smiles, laughs, and love) is definitely a transition. But I am so happy that I get to fulfill my role as a mother. So, to the real life that comes with motherhood and staying home, I'm ready and excited! Let's roll!

4 comments:

Laura Elizabeth said...

I love it!! The pictures are precious. It's so awesome that you get to be a stay at home mom now! (I'm pretty jealous!) :)

Lee Hervey said...

What a lovely expression of your feelingsI I am so glad you are happy and adjusting. Tell Laura to calm down, be patient and wait for her turn, please!!!!!!
And Claire looks as happy as you do!!!

Laura Elizabeth said...

Sheesh, I am Mom. I was just saying it sounds wonderful.

Mel said...

:) Real life is wonderful!