Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whose Line Is It Anyway?

We have a home phone line. I know, they are becoming obsolete to many families in this country. But I think it's important to have one. A few years ago, I was at a teacher in-service meeting, and a friend of mine said that her two children were at home alone, and they couldn't even call her if they had a problem because there was no phone in the house. She and her husband each had a cell phone, but they didn't have a home phone line. Right then and there I thought, wow! Who cares if they can't call mom with a question, but what if they need to call 911?

And so we have a home phone line. But in some ways it seems like it's not really ours. I guess that's because we get so many calls for so many different people. Here's what I mean. We've gotten the following calls:

  • "Donna?" You have the wrong number. "You mean this isn't Donna Jones?" No, it's not.
  • A recording from a furniture store saying our rental payment is overdue. We got this call twice.
  • A recording from UPS saying a package would be delivered and I would need to sign for it. Sounds exciting, right? No one ever came. No one left a note on the door saying I could pick it up somewhere. There obviously was no package for me. We got this call twice, too.
  • A call from a doctor office for Quentin Jordan.
  • A recording from a different doctor office for a name I couldn't even understand.
  • A recording with a message for someone. (The name escapes me at this moment; we'll call her Libby). "If this is Libby, press one. If you know a different number for Libby, press 5. If you do not know Libby, press nine." I pressed nine.
  • And my favorite: A recording from an orthodontist office called and sang happy birthday to Ashley.

1 comment:

JP and Katie said...

I read this posting out loud to JP because asked what I was over here cracking up about. He said, "you know, it's great that she has such a great attitude about all the calls. Sometimes things are so ridiculous you just have to laugh about them." My first thought was, "yes, this is why I loved living with Julia for 4 years!" I love your ability to laugh about life Julia. From the pictures it looks like Claire likes to laugh too!