Thursday, December 12, 2013

Candy Tree Forest

Have I mentioned that Claire asks if we can do a craft or go to the park -- just about every day? She has done this for a while, and when I was big and pregnant, (and in the summer when I was so hot), the answer was frequently no. Now that I have a newborn, it’s not always easier, but I do want to let Claire have some Christmas fun. So I’m up for very simple crafts these days. A few days ago, it was simply letting her cut some Christmas paper and glue the pieces onto another piece of paper. She loved it!

And yesterday we made a candy tree forest. Thankfully, this craft was simple. (The alternative was a gingerbread house; that seemed like way too much work for me!) We just put icing on ice cream cones and decorated them with sprinkles and candy. Simple? Yes! Fun? Yes! Exciting? Definitely!!! (And this was way easier than the original Pinterest idea, which included baking cookie dough into the ice cream cones, putting a lollipop stick inside the cookie, and decorating the cones. No thanks! Simple is great!)

Claire loved everything about it - from getting to use a knife to spread the icing to decorating with SPRINKLES and candy to eating one of her trees. She also had fun showing Jordan the forest of candy trees we made when he got home.