Friday, June 27, 2008

The Hawk

Jordan has an eye for hawks. He spots them all over Houston. On one trip from Houston to Dallas he spotted more than 30 hawks. He just has this thing for hawks - and for all birds of prey. So we call him Hawkeye.



Well, my dad told him that he walked into the barn one day, and there was a red-tailed hawk in the barn! The hawk looked at my dad and must have wondered what on earth he was doing walking into his territory. The hawk then flew out a hole in the roof. Since then, my dad has been on alert for the hawk. He was mowing the backyard, and he noticed the shadow of a bird circling overhead. It was the hawk. Another time when he was mowing the backyard, he saw the hawk eating dinner at the edge of his property. He just stopped and wathced until the hawk flew away.



My dad had no idea that Jordan is also known as Hawkeye, but when he told Jordan these stories, Jordan almost couldn't contain himself!!! One day while we were in Dallas, Jordan, Mel, Kyle, and I went on a walk to look for the hawk. We stood at the edge of the property and looked in the field next door, and there it was. (Jordan spotted it, of course). You might need to click on the pictures to enlarge them and see the hawk better. It's perched just to the right of the chair thing.





The hawk knew we were looking at him, and, pretty soon, it took off.



Then it started circling overhead, so I took one more picture, and we left it alone.





Hawkeye was thrilled!!! He thought it was so fitting that he spotted the hawk while he was wearing his eagle shirt. After all - a bird of prey is a bird of prey!




Towards the end of the walk, we ate some peaches, and even Kyle enjoyed them!



What a fun time!


1 comment:

Arnold LvE said...

Hough! Greetings Chief Hawkeye!

You should come here, not to brag, because I think of you every day when I see them, but on my train ride into Frankfurt I see a whole slew of Birds of Prey every day. So you could say that I think of you every day. But I don't because I am usually studying, but when I do take the time, I see them and they are neat. But we think of you anyways. Now before I stick my foot in my mouth (via typing) any further,
ta ta.