Friday, June 13, 2008

The U.S. Open with Jordan

The U.S. Open began yesterday, and Jordan certainly was excited about it! He has been into golf lately. If you'll remember, he went golfing on his birthday, and since then, he's been golfing a lot! He got some clubs for his birthday, and he frequently hits golf balls at the driving range or plays a round of golf in the afternoon. He has done pretty well, too! I guess he hasn't done well enough to qualify for the U.S. Open, but he has done well, considering that he's only been playing for a month and a half! (And he has fun, too, which is what it's all about!)

He ordered his clubs online, and then he waited. I should say that he waited anxiously! After a few days, he mentioned that he wondered when his clubs would arrive. Then one day we came home from somewhere, and he went onto the porch to do something, and his clubs were right there! (He had been on the porch the day before this, so we know that the clubs hadn't been sitting there for a long time!) He was so excited! Here he is opening his clubs.





When he got all of them open, I wanted to take a picture of him with his new clubs. So he smiled for me.


But he really didn't want to smile for me. This shows how he really felt!


This week I have heard a lot of pre-game talk about the U.S. Open. When it finally started yesterday, we were ready! We took care of things we needed to do yesterday before it started. Then it started. And it went on for a while. And then it was still on. And then it kept going... for a lot longer! I really didn't mind while it was on because I was packing boxes, (since we're about to move). And I did other things, too. But by the time we went to bed last night, I had had enough! Jordan teased me about not paying attention to what was happening in the U.S. Open, and then I proceeded to ramble off facts and information that I had learned during the day.


For instance, this is the 108th U.S. Open, and it's being held at Torrey Pines, which is a public golf course in the San Diego area. This is the first time a U.S. Open has been held at a public golf course. It only costs $42, I believe, to play there on a normal basis. That's a great price compared to Pebble Beach, which is similar to Torrey Pines because they are both on the coast. Pebble Beach costs about $500 to play. (No way!)


There are three kinds of grass in the rough areas. There is no hang-gliding allowed during the Open. Both Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods "grew up" on and are very familiar with this course. The course has been completely changed from normal.


Tiger has won the Buick Invitational, which is always held at Torrey Pines. He also won the U.S. Open in 2000 and 2002.



I could go on, but I won't. I think I talked for 10 minutes! I was definitely tired of it! Today I continued to pack, and I spread out my errands, and I have survived much better than I did yesterday!

2 comments:

Mel said...

I'm not much into watching golf, either. Good thing you had packing to keep you occupied!

Liz Marshall said...

You are a lot more patient than me I can only stand about an hour and then I am done! Hats off to you also for paying attention and learning stuff in the process!!!!!