Friday, May 21, 2010

2 Month Stats

Claire did very well at the doctor today, even though she got three shots. She even smiled after she got the shots and before we left -- once she calmed down.

Here are the stats:
Her head circumference is 38 cm, which is in the 30-something percentile. (I don't remember exactly).
She now weighs 10 pounds, 9.5 ounces. She's in the 50th percentile in weight.
And she is 23.5 inches long, which is in the 91st percentile for height! But the doctor said she doesn't look at percentile to see if children will be tall or not until age 2 or 3.

She was very tired last night when I took this picture!

Because I am not a fan of shots for myself, (just ask Jordan about how much I don't like medical things that are even slightly gross for myself), I am aware of the "distract the patient" tactic. And I appreciate it! When nurses use that tactic on me, I am aware of it, and I like it! But I didn't think twice about Claire's shots today. I knew that she wouldn't like them. I knew that she would cry. But I didn't expect them to make me queasy. - And they didn't. (That's NOT where I'm going with this!) I just thought it was funny that the nurse who gave Claire her shots told me to hold down her upper body, and then she started using the "distract the mother" tactic. She asked me how many kids I want to have, when I want to have the next one, and other questions, too. She was giving Claire her shots during this conversation, and I was answering her questions, but I was also trying to console Claire by singing and trying to comfort her. That was a little hard to do while I was answering the nurse's questions! And I didn't need to be distracted; I didn't feel the need to cry just because Claire was crying. I just wanted to help her as much as I could.

Having fun with Dad before bed time!

2 comments:

Mandi said...

I hate shots! I have a hard time with Sam and Marie getting them.

Claire is so cute and growing up so fast! I can't believe it's already been that long!

Miss you tons and hope all is well!

Mandi :)

Mel said...

This reminds me that I need to get more photos of Stephen and Ryan together.