Monday, May 30, 2011

Bath Time!

Bathhouse Row has (just like you would guess...) a number of bathhouses in a row.


Some bathhouses, like the Quapaw, are still functioning as bathhouses.
The Fordyce is the visitors center.

The Ozark is being turned into a museum.

I saw on the Hot Springs National Park website that the National Park Service is currently taking requests for proposals for the vacant bathhouses, like this one, the Superior.

And at the end of Bathhouse Row, you'll find the Arlington Hotel, which has its own spa using thermal waters, I think.

The Buckstaff Bathhouse has operated continuously since 1912, and it's a great place to take a bath! Wednesday morning, after Jordan fixed me breakfast again, we came to the Buckstaff, and we took a bath.

I'm glad that we had toured the Fordyce the day before because I knew what to expect. The men's baths were on the first floor, and the women's were on the second, so I got to ride in a very old elevator. - They had someone stationed in the elevator to run it for you. It was that old! Our bathing experience started with a bath in one of the big tubs.

Then I sat in the sauna thing, (like the thing behind Jordan in this picture), except my head was out of the top. I got pretty hot while I was in this, so I called my attendant over, and she got me out of there! Jordan, however, was able to handle more time in the sauna than most people, and his attendant was happy about that.

Then I took a sitz bath.
Next, I laid on a table, and my attendant, Kathy, put hot packs on my back, my shoulders, and my legs. Since I had gotten hot in the sauna, she also put a cold pack on my forehead.
Then, I hopped in the needle shower, which had 8 shower heads coming at me from the sides! That was awesome!

Finally, I had a massage, which was way too short. But all massages are too short for me!

Jordan and I met up again on the porch of the Buckstaff, and we both said that, during our baths, we thought, "Chris needs to come take a bath here. He would LOVE it!!"

1 comment:

Uncle Hubba said...

Oh my gosh, a whole row of BATHS!?!?!? AWESOME!!!!