Thursday, June 2, 2011

Let's Go Mavs!!

Part 1

My brother Marshall always seems to have connections. Through his work, he knows a lot of people, and sometimes he scores some great tickets/opportunities/fun times. For example, Marshall was a key player in getting some tickets to the Cotton Bowl when A&M played LSU. Also, he has been the beneficiary of a free night's stay at the Adolphus in Dallas. Those are just a couple of examples. I'll stop before I spill all of his secrets! It certainly is nice having a brother with connections. (Thanks, Marsh! --But I'm glad you're my brother - with or without connections!)

So his latest connection opportunity (that I'm aware of) came when I was in Dallas last month. Donnie Nelson, GM and president of basketball operations for the Mavericks, is also a co-owner of the Mesquite Rodeo, (where Marshall works). Donnie Nelson invited the Rodeo employees and their sponsors to come to the Mavericks practice court, locker room, and weight room. Marshall signed up to go, and he got to bring a guest. (Here's where it's great to be around for opportunities from Marshall's connections!!!) I got to go with Marshall! I was so excited!

We were instructed to wear rubber-soled shoes and bring a camera. Marshall knew he didn't need to bring a camera, though, since I was coming! I took plenty of pictures! - And so this will be a three-part series. :-)

I'll start with the weight room/training room. They have what they stand for posted for all to see as a reminder.

The weight room - with weights I can't even imagine picking up -- with two hands!!

I liked the brick everywhere. It looked a bit old. The facility we were able to tour is actually connected to the American Airlines Center, which is where the Mavericks play in Dallas. I wonder if the brick was already there when the American Airlines Center was built. I wonder if they just kept it and used it instead of tearing it down. I'm not sure, but that's what it seemed like to me.
Then we saw the training room. (I'm not really sure what to call this room, but it's where the trainers work on the players, so you get the idea!)


This board was funny. The Mavericks had just beaten the Lakers for the series, so the Mavs players had posted funny signs of the Lakers players "going on vacation," "going fishing," and even "modeling" for Dolce & Gabbana. It was awesome!

The hot tubs... I love the no diving sign back there!

And an underwater treadmill. I didn't know they existed, and I think they're pretty cool!

Then we saw the fun, play area. The guy giving us the tour kept emphasizing that what we were seeing is the Mavericks players' home away from home. (And we were also told that the press would be so jealous to be where we were and to see what we were seeing!)

The Mavericks pool table

A big tv and game stuff

A Mavericks chair with a PINK controller, (which I think is awesome and hilarious!!!)

And Marshall with current pictures of all the Mavericks players

Stay tuned for more Mavericks awesomeness! And LET'S GO MAVS!!!!!

No comments: