Friday, September 2, 2011

JFK Presidential Library & Museum

Jordan and I visited the JFK Presidential Library and Museum. Much to Jordan's surprise, I'd never been to a presidential library/museum before. The structure was designed by I. M. Pei.


I LOVED the huge American flag!


The museum sits right next to the water.

Jordan, with JFK's boat in the background

Looking back, isn't it interesting that JFK said this in his inaugural address?

This looked like a good photo-op!

Here is a picture of Pablo Casals, a cellist, at a recital he gave at the White House. The first time I heard about Pablo Casals was when my dad was taking me to Lubbock for freshman orientation the summer before I began college. He told me a story of how, as a child, Pablo Casals saw a man playing a cello. Casals decided, then and there, that he wanted to be a cellist. Through much practice and hard work, he became exactly what he wanted to be: a cellist. - And he was an excellent cellist, too! My dad told me that he hoped I had had or would have my very own Pablo Casals moment. He hoped that I would find something to do that would make me happy. He also told me that he thought maybe I had already had my Pablo Casals moment. I agree with him. I wanted to be a choir director, and I loved teaching choir while I did it! {And now, I love being a mom.} But I've always remembered what my dad told me about having a Pablo Casals moment, so I was excited to see this in the museum!

Correspondence between JFK and Pablo Casals

Here's a piece of the Berlin Wall.

I got myself a souvenir at the gift shop. It's a game with pictures of a license plate from each state and information about each state, too! I love license plates!!!! :-)

Side Note:
During one of our walks around town, we saw St. Stephen's Church, which is where Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy was baptized.


No comments: