Friday, July 17, 2009

Food in Florence

I already showed the food Laura and I had for lunch in Florence our first day. (Click here to see it again). During our "Renaissance Walk," we walked down the Via dei Calzaiuoli, a pedestrian only street. This street has been here for thousands of years. It connects the religious center to the political center. Cars were allowed on this street at one point, so it was full of traffic, but now it's for people only!


While walking along this street, we had our first taste of gelato!!! I tried to make sure we had some gelato every day we spent in Italy! - What fun!!!! Laura had cantalope gelato.

And I had cantelope and pineapple gelato. This pineapple-flavored gelato ended up being my 2nd favorite of the entire trip, and I almost didn't get it at all! I asked for cantelope, and the lady who scooped out my cantelope gelato asked if I wanted to mix it with anything else. I thought, "Oh, sure, why not," so I got pineapple too! It was delicious!

That evening, we went back to the hotel to put our things down and to rest a bit before dinner. We had walked a lot that day, so we wanted to go somewhere close. We asked at the hotel lobby where a good place to eat was, and they sent us just around the corner and down the street . This was definitely my favorite meal of the entire trip!!!! It was fabulous! I got a ham and cheese calzone. The ham was simply incredible. It melted in my mouth! At first I thought it was the bread that was so good, and the bread WAS good, but it turned out to be the HAM that was AMAZING!!!! It looked like regular lunchmeat ham, but it was not in the same ballpark as lunchmeat ham! It was wonderful! (Sadly, I only ate about half of it because I was still unsure about my stomach, but thankfully, this was the last day I had to worry about my stomach).

Laura had a cheese pizza. She really enjoyed it, too!

No comments: