Saturday, July 25, 2009

Grand Canal Cruise

Laura and I took the Grand Canal "Cruise" - and listened to another Rick Steves podcast along the way. It was really, really fun! We learned a lot, (but I won't try to duplicate it here because I don't have the landmarks I would need to be able to do that!)

The vaporetto is the public transportation of Venice. There is one main canal, called the Grand Canal, that goes through Venice. The vaporetti travel along the Grand Canal and stops at various places along the way. There are two routes open to the general public: #1 - the slow boat - that stops at each stop, and #2 - the fast boat - that stops at the more major stops. I read that there is a 3rd route that exists, but it's basically only open to citizens. I bet they're glad to be able to get away from all the tourists!!!

The driver of our vaporetto. When I showed this picture to Jordan, the first thing he said was, "Look at those Italian shoes!!"

Laura!









Rooftop gardens

Julia


Laura and Julia


This wooden bridge was just supposed to be a temporary one, I think to use while another bridge was being repaired. But the Venetians actually liked it, so they kept it!



Parked Gondolas


Laura took this picture in the reflection of the vaporetto stop! I think it's awesome!

1 comment:

Amber in Deutschland said...

I am going. What great pictures!! *sigh*