Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

I love America! I'm so grateful that I live here and that I was born here and that I have so many freedoms here in this wonderful country!

Jordan worked last night, and he's scheduled to work tonight, too, so I decided to get up early this morning to celebrate with him. I made blueberry pancakes! YUM!!!


Last night I happened to look in a collection of my Grandmother Hervey's writings, and I opened up to a page with a poem titled "The American Flag" on it. I think it is extremely appropriate.

The American Flag

It is a symbol, yes, and only means
To each of us that which our heart and mind
Distills from life's experience and gleans
From lives of those who serve. It is designed
In fabric colored with the hue of blood
That symbolizes bravery. The white
Means purity and honor; and the mud
Which some will throw at it can never quite
Destroy the honor it evokes. The blue is truth.
When danger threatens peace and leads to strife
I then have seen idealistic youth
Make sacrifice of home and love and life
To serve the flag. Don't tell me that to burn
The country's flag is freedom granted those
Who grab the First Amendment, though they spurn
The deeper meaning that our symbols pose.
The poorer they! Their hearts can never leap,
As mine, with joy to see Old Glory fly!
My prayer for freedom is that we may keep
My country's banner ever waving high!

by Lois Hervey
June, 1989


Thank you, Grandmother, for your thoughtfully penned words and for your wonderfully lived life that still stands as a shining example for your posterity!

1 comment:

Laura Elizabeth said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing Juls! :)

I showed it to Dad today... :)